The Resource Matterhorn : a novel of the Vietnam War
- Matterhorn : a novel of the Vietnam War
- Title remainder
- a novel of the Vietnam War
- Statement of responsibility
- Karl Marlantes
- Title variation
- Novel of the Vietnam War
- Thirty years in the making, Marlantes's epic debut is a dense, vivid narrative spanning many months in the lives of American troops in Vietnam as they trudge across enemy lines, encountering danger from opposing forces as well as on their home turf. Marine lieutenant and platoon commander Waino Mellas is braving a 13-month tour in Quang-Tri province, where he is assigned to a fire-support base and befriends Hawke, older at 22; both learn about life, loss, and the horrors of war. Jungle rot, leeches dropping from tree branches, malnourishment, drenching monsoons, mudslides, exposure to Agent Orange, and wild animals wreak havoc as brigade members face punishing combat and grapple with bitterness, rage, disease, alcoholism, and hubris. A decorated Vietnam veteran, the author clearly understands his playing field (including military jargon that can get lost in translation), and by examining both the internal and external struggles of the battalion, he brings a long, torturous war back to life with realistic characters and authentic, thrilling combat sequences. Marlantes's debut may be daunting in length, but it remains a grand, distinctive accomplishment. - Publisher Weekly
- Award/Notable book
- Indies' Choice Book Awards, Adult Debut, 2011.
- James Fenimore Cooper Prize, 2011
- W. Y. Boyd Literary Award, 2011.
- ALA Notable Book, 2011.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2010
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- M38 2010
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Matterhorn : a novel of the Vietnam War
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Matterhorn : a novel of the Vietnam War
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.peru.lib.in.us/resource/W306BYhYJJg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.peru.lib.in.us/resource/W306BYhYJJg/">Matterhorn : a novel of the Vietnam War</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.peru.lib.in.us/#PPL"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.peru.lib.in.us/">Peru Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Peru Public Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...